Jude 1 - Revelation 17:18

"Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last, and the Living One. I was dead, but look - I am alive forever and ever, and I hold the keys of death and Hades. Therefore, write what you have seen, what is, and what will take place."
It is the prelude to one of the most intriguing books of the Bible. It is also the prelude to the most encouraging and convicting parts of Revelation. It is the story of the seven churches. And just like the whole book of Revelation; the letters to the churches is the story of what had been, what is, and what will take place.
These are the letters of Jesus. They have a multitude of applications.
A) Local. "To the angel (messenger) of the church in Ephesus write:
These letters are written to actual, historical churches at the time. Each of these seven churches (Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea) existed and had the problems that were addressed.
B) Typical. "What the Spirit says to the churches."
These letters are written to every church at any time in history. Any church can find themselves in one or more of these letters. Throughout the lifespan of a single church, they might even be every one of the churches.
(1) Ephesus (2:1-7) This church has its doctrine and its ministry right, but they have left their love of Christ. Their doctrine and their deeds are more important than Jesus. How many churches today have lost their love for Christ?
(2) Smyrna (2:8-11) This church is the one that is in poverty and being persecuted. And they will probably let you know they don't have much and that everyone else isn't playing very nice. They have chosen to remain faithful despite the circumstances, but they have forgotten the joy of being rich in Christ. How many churches have lost their joy in Christ?
(3) Pergamum (2:12-17) This church holds faithful to Jesus and His gospel, but they have compromised and allowed false teachings on other aspects of the faith. Because of this compromise they have allowed unholy practices in their faith. How many churches have lost the holiness of God?
(4) Thyatira (2:18-29)This church not only holds the truth of the gospel, but it lives it out in love and deeds as well. But just like Pergamum they have allowed sinful practices to be taught in the church. Since they are now doing more than at first, they are relying on their deeds and works to compensate for this false teaching. How many churches are relying on their works to please God?
(5) Sardis (3:1-6) This is church that looks alive because of the works that they do, but they are dead. To the world they are a model church, but to Jesus they are asleep. They have lost their zeal. They are just "going through the motions" and are trapped in their rituals. How many churches have lost their passion for the gospel?
(6) Philadelpia (3:7-13) This church has been faithful. O! how they have been faithful. Their deeds and their doctrine bring glory to God. They have stayed true to Jesus. They have endured and kept strong in the faith, but they are also weak. Their strength is fading. How many churches have lost the power of God?
(7) Laodicea (3:14-22) This is a church that has staked out the middle ground. They are wealthy and resourceful. But, they have compromised on everything in their doctrine and faith. The gospel is seldom preached in this church. While they think they are honoring God by at least keeping the name church, they are blind to God's work and deaf to God's word. How many churches have lost the real Jesus?
C) Individual. "He who has an ear let him hear"
These letters are written to every individual. At any time in our walk of faith, one of these letters will applies. They have commendation, correction, and encouragment for each one of us. They are Jesus' letters personally to you and I. And they contain His promises, too.
(1) Ephesus (2:1-7) "To him that overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God."
(2) Smyrna (2:8-11) "He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death"
(3) Pergamos (2:12-17) "To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it."
(4) Thyatira (2:18-29) "To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations. I will also give him the morning star"
(5) Sardis (3:1-6) "He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white, I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels."
(6) Philadelpia (3:7-13) "Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it."
(7) Laodicea (3:14-22) "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne."
D) Prophetic.
Many believe that they also reveal the history of the church from its beginning. While a single church may hold to the faith, when taken as a whole the "body of Christ" has resembled each of these churches in history. While there are numerous variations, I have included a couple of external links for reference.
http://www.mazzaroth.com/ChapterSix/SevenHistoricalChurchAges.htm
http://www.ldolphin.org/cleanpages/rev03.html
http://freestockphotos.com/SevenChurch.html
Seven letters to Seven Churches, with an endless amount of application to the past, present, and future. All from the one who said " I am the Alpha and Omega - who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
No comments:
Post a Comment